Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Are you serious?

Mom opinions kill me sometimes. I realize I'm opinionated on many parenting fronts.... and I'm sure many mom's think my opinions suck. There is a blog I read occasionally and every time this blogger posts a "My Opinion" post I always find myself thinking.... Are you kidding me? You seriously are that uptight? Like this one. This part, in particular, kills me....

"Gina and I went to Arby’s for lunch and the lady working at the register put her finger in Will’s hand. Gina walked calmly back to our table holding Will’s hand out like he touched rat poison, sat down, adeptly grabbed the antibacterial gel out of her bag and rubbed it all over his little hand. That is what I do when people do this to Preston and especially during cold season."

Serious... like RAT POISON? OMG. I hate to think what will happen with their kids are in school HAHA!

And then this recent post. Here are my thoughts on these topics.

1. I find this part a bit, offensive, I suppose:

"
I'm sure those who allow regular television viewing of younger kids will say they spend plenty of quality time interacting with their children and that their kids are totally fine. I’ve been bothered by this because I don’t know how much clearer the message from the American Academy of Pediatrics could be."

I want to write "So, you're saying those of us who let their kids watch tv and think that they are totally fine are delusional and wrong and that our kids in reality are NOT fine?" My 2 year old son started watching Baby Einstein at about 3 months old. He watches age appropriate television (Little Bear, Dora, Curious George etc) nearly every morning. He has always had a great vocabulary... he said about 15 words by 11 months old and over 40 words by 14 months old. At 2 years old he can speak in complete sentences and tell stories and retell events and hold conversations with adults. He is in no way behind on vocabulary or verbal expression.

2. Staying at home... so basically she's saying that if you work in order to live in a decent sized home and drive a nice car and eat steak that you're selfish? Some people just aren't cut out to be SAHM's. Some people actually LIKE their jobs and want to still be a woman AND a mother, and believe me it IS possible.

3. I am secretly hoping Perfect Preston turns into a Terrible Eater very soon. There are many children who have always been exposed to many types of foods and still refuse to eat whats good for them. What if her child ends up like that? I wouldn't doubt that she'll be the first one to run and buy one of those books so that her germ-free-tv-free child ingests something healthy other than mac and cheese and goldish. Oh, wait, that's what they eat so that she can stay home.

2 comments:

just me said...

Well, I could/will heartily disagree with her on the whole immune system rant, but really her biggest 'tell' is that she is a germophobe so she will be passing that on to young Preston (poor kid).

TV...I remember my dad visiting once after our first son was born; I was totally overwhelmed with motherhood and my 6-month old son was parked in his infant seat right in front of our new color television set (sesame street)....he was totally captivated! My dad (knowing my views on kids and TV - all pre-children of course) commented that reality sure had a way of throwing convictions out the window sometimes (he said this with a wink of course, dad was ever the practical kind of guy). I laughed and agreed :)

Son graduated High school with a 4.2, plans on becoming a doctor or an engineer, and absolutely loves ESPN and anything involving Japanese people attempting to perform silly stunts....go figure.

Kim said...

HAHAHA I apparently am a horrendous mother then as I drag my 9 week old into the germatorium (the 2.5 year olds daycare) twice daily. I then let the bearers of the germs tickle and prod the baby - because honestly, they love her and how can I say no?

Seems like people don't get that regardless, they will get colds/sick. It's life, sure you feel bad for them but you can't keep them in a bubble either!